Monday, July 10, 2017

Weekly Recap @ Daydreaming Bookworm

** Originally posted at The Bengali Nomad**


Sunday Post Stacking the shelves
               
Since this weekly blog post will be linking up to both Sunday Post and Stacking the Shelves, I've decided to label it as Weekly Recap, just to keep things simple.                                                            














I've been on vacation mode throughout most of last week, so that was nice. My family and I traveled to Bali, Indonesia and then to Singapore. The only thing I was a tad bit disappointed about was that I didn't get to dive at Manta Point, which is one of the most popular diving destinations in Indonesia. (for those who don't know me, I've been diving since 2013, first starting out with a Discover Scuba then eventually moving on to getting open water certified) This was mainly due to time constraints but I did manage to do SOME diving at a site near Nusa Dua, Bali. I'm still debating on whether to do a blog post on it (pictures and all!) so let me know what you all think! Moving on from my diving story, here is my book haul for this week: 

From top to bottom: 
The Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan, 
BALI Sekala & Niskala by Fred B. Eiseman, JR
Alex Rider: Never Say Die by Anthony Horowitz
Crown's Fate by Evelyn Skye
Amazons by John Man (currently reading)
The Million Dollar Blog by Natasha Courtenay-Smith
Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg

The Silk Roads was actually recommended to me by someone whom I consider to be very well-read. It's definitely a heavier read but it explores the evolution of trade and civilization from the Eastern perspective, something that I'd like to have more knowledge on. For now it's on my TBR list and I hope to tackle it sometime soon.

Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg is a present for someone else but since I bought it might as well include it in my haul. TeeHee :-) .

I always believe that it's a good idea to buy a book related to the place you're visiting once you're there. Therefore to honor that belief I bought BALI Sekala and Niskala, a book on the religion, spirituality and art of the Balinese people. I am also doing a Theology minor at the moment. Hope that's a good enough explanation.

Anthony Horowitz FINALLY published another Alex Rider book in six years! (well, five if you count the prequel Russian Roulette I think) I stumbled upon a copy of Never Say Die in the Kinokuniya at Takashiyama Mall. Takashiyama Mall is located at Orchard Road, Singapore. If anyone ever has the chance do visit this Kinokuniya store it's probably the largest in Asia and is literally every book lover's dream come true. 

Crown's Fate is the sequel to The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye. Okay for this one I'll admit I bought the wrong book. For some reason, I thought that this was the sequel to Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake but oh well, another reason to start a new series. Sheesh, I already instagrammed my excitement over this and everything!

Amazons is THE historical analysis I've been searching for all these years. The legends of these warrior women have always been so underrated, and I'm glad that the new Wonder Woman movie has brought more attention to them. I haven't read any books by this author before, but he's a good at his job, and knows how to write a historical analysis for the average Joe. It's definitely worth a read.

The last book on the list, The Million Dollar Blog, is more of an inspiration for me to get regular with blogging again. I picked this up at a bookstore at the airport in Bali. Would really appreciate some feedback on this if someone's read it that is. 

What do you think about my haul? Anything you've already read or would love to read? Let me know in the comments below and feel free to leave a link to your post. 

4 comments:

  1. Look like some good books. I think I could use a little blog inspiration myself. Sounds like a great trip.
    sherry @ fundinmental Sunday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sherry! It's been so long! Yes I completely agree! I started a new blog The Bengali Nomad to kind of just refresh but it's difficult since I don't get nearly as much traffic there. With real life getting in the way, it's always hard keeping up.

      Delete
  2. Hi there! So fun that you're back to blogging. I'd love to see pictures from your diving. I'm too scared of sharks to go anymore. Did some training and didn't finish getting certified years ago.
    Fabulous stack of new books. That top one is huge. I love large books in print format. Strange, I know. LOL

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And lol it's not strange at all! I like the feel of large books as well. Btw thanks for following me on my other blog. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting!You are absolutely about to make my day! :)
I really appreciate feedback from my readers on every single one of my posts but please keep in mind that Daydreaming Bookworm is an award free zone. I used to accept blog award tags before but now I really don't have the time.Sorry!